Sunday 31 March 2019

Numbers game

I started crafting the quiet book from the games of numbers and shapes, next I made the colours game and then the covers. The last ones I have already finished are the games of mouse-and-cheese and the snail.

The numbers game was the first one I started making and testing with, even before I started with the covers. On one hand that sounds illogical, on the other hand it's easier to make the covers based on the content, than the other way around. Of course, if you have a very specific plan, then there shouldn't be any differencre in which order you make it. But it was my first book and I couldn't really visualise, how will it actually look, so it seemed only right to start with a few pages. For example, at first I didn't think I would use the strips to attach the pages to the rings, instead of simply sewing them to the covers.
Preliminary sketch for the game

The numbers game is a bit like abacus. I made 10 rows (on two pages) - on each row there is one number from 1 to 10 and corresponding number of buttons. These buttons can be moved back and forth on a string, to count them or just for fun. The numbers at the beginning of each row are removable - you can take them off, try to find the right place for them and then reattach using Velcro.

  


At first I wanted to use pearls instead of buttons, so that each row would have its own colour, but otherwise they would all look the same. Unfortunately, I couldn't find what I wanted. Instead I found same-styled buttons, which came in different colours. Sadly, there weren't enough of them for all the rows, but I got everything I needed using 2 different shapes - bears and smiles.




As mentioned before, I chose a different colour for the buttons on each row. I also made the numbers match with the colours of the respective buttons. For example, on the first line there is one green bear and the number "1" is also green. I wanted to make all the numbers removable, so I decided to make same-coloured and -shaped "homes" for each of them on the page. For that I cut three identical numbers for each row - two of them got Velcro strips on opposite sides, one of which (with the  more rough Velcro side) I sew on the page and the other one I attached to the third remaining number. As a result, I got nice double-layered felt numbers, which could be attached to the decent-looking "home" places on the page. These removable numbers were the ones, which started getting lost, as soon as I gave them to my child to play with. Although I didn't want to at first, later on, I added some strings to them, which connected the numbers with the "homes". It seemed like an unnecessary simplification (numbers being connected to their correct places all the time), but if I had connected them all in the same point, then the strings would have been very long and very messy.


For some reason, at first I thought it would be a great idea to cut slits into the page, at the both ends of the strings (which hold the buttons), to pull them to the other side, before sewing the strings to the page... However, quite soon I realised, that instead of improving things, it made sewing harder and the material weaker. From that moment on, I just sewed over the string and the cut off the remaining end of it.


The strings must be sewed on very firmly. Solitary buttons stay put pretty well, but the more there are, the more they start pulling the string. Felt is quite soft material too and doesn't keep the string taut. It wasn't too long ago, when I readjusted almost all the strings on my game, so they would stay straight (they had gone limp over time).





The outcome




Observations - in addition to the ones on the usage and attaching of strings.

* For attaching strings and "home" places, I used the 4mm wide applique stiches on the sewing machine.

* I sewed everything with the machine. By now I've discovered, that sewing smaller details (installing Velcro strips, to assemble the removable number, etc.) by hand is easier, more precise and it's also doable next to children. I guess I preferred the machine, to make the seam more enduring and it's pretty difficult to sew through the Velcro strip by hand.

* For sewing I chose the colours of the thread so they would be either as similar to the colour of the felt, as possible, or totally different, giving a nice contrast.

* Later on, I have seen different solutions for sewing the little numbers/letters on a round background/pillow, probably making them more enduring, than being in the shape of a number/letter.

* The dimensions of the pages are about 22x22cm (+3cm strip for binding). I chose this size, because when I was out looking for supplies, I stumbled upon ready-cut square-shaped felt squares in that size. Therefore, it was the easiest size to choose, avoiding extra work cutting out same-sized pieces. Primary colours (blue, red, yellow and green) I took by meter, because I knew I would use those probably more than the others. In addition, I found a small bag filled with little felt leftover pieces - there were very many different colours, eliminating the need to buy lots of fabric for different little details.

* At first, I only used Velcro strips - easy to play with at any age. My daughter already knew how to unfasten them at the age of 1 and started reattaching them when she was maybe around 1,5 years old. At the moment, I'm testing the usage of magnets. I will probably start using press-studs and buttons as well. Now that my daughter is almost 2 years old, she seems to have developed interest in those and is able to un-/fasten them after a few attempts.


Felt in different shapes and sizes


No comments:

Post a Comment